on the lighter side. forty things about me at forty.
1. i want to be known. and i want to know people. really know. past the small talk. so i love when they open up their bags and show me what they are carrying in life.
2. i find vacuuming soothing. the best present my husband ever gave me was a vacuum cleaner worth more than my car.
3. i am intense. i didn’t know until my friend heath told me so. it felt like permission to breathe deeply.
4. i think opposites do attract but you need to be samesies on the important stuff.
5. i have grown to appreciate the desert’s beauty but i miss the color green.
6. i write thank you notes by the hundreds in my head. they stay there.
7. when i talk to my kids about addiction, i’m praying they don’t connect the dots to starbucks.
8. i don’t believe in self-help. i believe in asking for help.
9. i love when men are still brave enough to be chivalrous. and when they give cheek kisses.
10. i have left behind a child at church once. or twice.
11. i haven’t ridden on a train. yet.
12. i am the shyest person i know.
13. i answer to any version of my name. gladly.
14. when my daughter R was born, i was so certain she was going to be a boy, i asked the doctor to check again.
15. if my life was a movie where i got stuck in an airport. it would be HEAVEN!
16. i have an entire mouth full of sweet tooths.
17. i am more afraid of falling off a bicycle than crashing in a small plane.
18. gifts is one of my love language. sometimes my husband puts ribbons on the groceries and i am delighted!
19. i am out of sight, out of mind. it is one of the things i most want to change.
20. i cannot sew on a button. my mum tried. really.
21. if i could be good at one sport it would be soccer. the only one i feel good at is tennis.
22. i love any version of a mix tape. best presents ever.
23. one of my favorite places to walk into is an office supply store. just the thought of it makes me smile.
24. i don’t drink soda before ten am. and i judge people who do— while keeping a firm hold on my caramel macchiato.
25. the ocean. it’s in my soul. when i’m near it…feels like i’ve come home.
26. i rate highway rest stops by comparing them to the outhouse in my village.
27. i am not really a good cook. i just make sure people are VERY hungry before they eat dinner.
28. i believe in hugs. zealously. it’s pretty much my mission.
29. i gave my parents permission not to love their grandchildren. then cried at how much they did.
30. i have mostly planned my funeral. party favors and all. oh yes, there will be red vines. and sangria. and 80s music.
31. i teach my children to write in their bibles. god is not behind a red rope in a museum.
32.i believe love is a choice. i choose it a lot.
33. my biggest regret is not being australian.
34. my bigger regret is not learning how to say i’m sorry sooner.
35. the only reason i don’t shave my head is my husband M shaves his. that would be weird.
36. i love in downhill. faster. no stopping. i wouldn’t change it.
37. having children shook up my world like an earthquake. anything not built well came crashing down.
38. i’ve known and followed jesus since i was 10. but i didn’t grow into loving him until i was about 30.
39. i love that swoosh in your tummy during in flight turbulence. but because of a piece cut out of my vertebrae, i’m not allowed to ride roller coasters. i’m okay with that.
40. my heart home is papua new guinea. my life home is right here, right now.